Sarah Palin in Florida
It is very sad when candidates for the President and Vice President of the United States are running on such a bankrupt ticket that the only thing they can campaign on is a 1960's radical, William Ayres, who lives in Barack Obama's neighborhood. You know it's a pathetic campaign they're running when you think about all the 1960s radicals you know who are now elderly, retired, and in poor health. Even the one-kidnapped Patty Hearst, who once burst into a Los Angeles bank wearing a black beret and hoisting a submachine gun, is now a society matron. William Ayres is now a sixty-something distinguished professor of Education at the University of Illinois in Chicago, and a top advisor to Mayor Richard Daley on reforming Chicago's schools. It was in this role, as well as that of a neighbor, that he and Barack Obama crossed paths, but were never "palling around together" as Sarah Palin said today.
If the FBI cannot find and prosecute all of those old, sick, poor white Ku Klux Klansmen who killed an untold number of black men, then why are McCain and Palin fixated on a nonrelationship between Obama and Ayres? During the sixties a lot of us would have been called "radical" for demanding the right to vote, fair housing, quality education, and jobs with equal pay. If Obama had met the leaders of the Ocean Hill-Brownsville school protests when he was a young boy, would he be accused of "palling around" with black radicals? What if he had met Malcolm X as a child? You get the point. The list would be endless, and it is a stupid exercise in which to engage.
McCain and Palin are playing a dangerous "character" game for both are extremely vulnerable when it comes to having the spotlight shone on their own reputations. Take a look at the following:
- McCain walked out on his wife who stuck by him during his prisoner of war days and took up with a young blond woman, Cindy Lou Henning, that he married a few days after he got a divorce. He even applied for a marriage license before he got a divorce.
- McCain barely escaped jail when he allowed himself to be used by Charles Keating, head of a savings and loan. It was the beginning of McCain's love affair with deregulation for many people lost their life's savings in this thievery.
- Cindy McCain stole controlled narcotics from her charity that she organized for her own use. She would have spent time in jail had John McCain not intervened with the full weight of his powerful Washington friends.
- Todd Palin (remember the man who stands on the stage looking goofy) was, until 2002 a member of the Alaska Independence Party whose goals are to become an independent nation. Sarah Palin spoke to the group since she's been governor.
- Sarah Palin thinks she's "all that" in a pitiful sort of way. She really thinks she's competent to be PRESIDENT! Note the times she has said a "Palin-McCain" administration. It might have been a Freudian slip but it was one she intended. The woman is dangerous because she actually thinks she did well in the debate last week. She's on the campaign trail without one iota of self-awareness of her severe limitations. Danger, danger, folks.
- Sarah Palin allegedly had an affair with Bruce Hanson, a former business partner of her husband's.
- Sarah Palin has pimped out her pregnant teenage daughter, and her infant son who suffers from Down Syndrome. It was a national disgrace for her to showcase these children at several high profiles events for her own selfish outsized ambition. Interestingly, she doesn't appear to have bonded with the baby because her pregnant daughter is the one who holds the baby in public. Not Sister Sarah!!
- Sarah Palin is a racist who, according to members of the Alaska Junteenth Organization, has said she does not intend to hire African Americans to jobs in her administration. She said she will only hire qualified people. Yes folks. Qualified!! We must assume that she doesn't think there are any qualified Black Alaskan citizens.
- Most important, at the very time Sarah Palin is railing about Obama and Ayres in a non-relationship she is refusing to cooperate with a legislative investigation on the role she and her husband, Todd, played in firing a state trooper who refused to fire her ex-brother in law. How can this be? Do her followers think there is one set of laws for her and another for the rest of us?
As McCain gets ready for the Town Hall meeting with Obama tomorrow night, be assured that he will make a fool of himself again (remember last time he refused to look at Obama) by lying, making outlandish allegations, and the like. What we have to remember is that Obama has looked like a calm, strong leader in the midst of three weeks of cataclysmic events with the American and international economy. McCain, on the other hand, has acted like a spastic, hyperactive, impulsive person who exhibits a short attention span and all the traits of an adult with ADHA.
Who would trust this man to steer us through a war and an economy, the likes of which we have not seen since the Great Depression? Most Americans see what I see and are saying No to McCain and Palin. November 4th cannot come soon enough. However, we must keep up the good fight in behalf of Obama. We must also redouble all our efforts and work harder than ever.